Below is a list of answers to the most frequently asked questions in regards to the ABA Therapist training provided by ABIA

What’s the difference between the online and face-to-face ABA Therapist courses? Is one better than the other?

It depends on your circumstances. We developed online training for greater accessibility and convenience, especially for people who live regionally or work fulltime. Each course is slightly different, but they cover (and you will learn) the same concepts. The face-to-face course was developed specifically for ABIA whilst the online course was developed in the US. The important fact is that both are underpinned by ABA principles and philosophies which are used widely within Australia.

 Where do I start?

You can either complete ABA Therapist Training (face-to-face in Melbourne) or Making it Work as an ABA Therapist (online).  Both are introductory ABA training programs that will provide you with the knowledge to work as an ABA Therapist.

Who is this training suitable for?

This training is suitable for anyone interested in working as an ABA Therapist & for families who want to implement an ABA program. It is also suitable for university students wanting to understand foundational behavioural principles and strategies to aid their work practices and better support children in their care.

Our course is well (and regularly) attended by psychology, education, OT, and speech pathology students. It’s also attended by people wanting to retrain or take their career in a new or different direction (eg carers, early childhood workers). The course is occasionally taken by primary school and early childhood educators. We do however also facilitate PD’s and workshops tailored specifically to the needs of classroom and kindergarten teachers.

How long is each course?

The face-to-face course – ABA Therapist Training – is run over 3 days (9.30-4pm) at our office in Canterbury. The online course, Making it Work as an ABA Therapist comprises of 27.5 hrs with 60 days to complete.

 Are these courses accredited?

No – ABA therapist training in Australia is currently not accredited. However, with a ten-year history of course delivery, our organisation is the pre-eminent ABA therapist trainer the country.

What certification will I receive for your training?

You receive a Certificate of Completion with both the online & face-to-face training. 

Where/how can I work as a therapist?

You can be employed directly by a family to work as part of their team (in conjunction with an ABA Service Provider), or you can be employed directly by an ABA Service Provider.

What hourly rate will I be paid?

Generally starting rate is $20-$25 per hour. Payment is generally negotiated direct with the family/employer. The more hours of experience, and the greater the range of your therapy experiences, the more highly you’ll be regarded and the more you will be able to demand.

 If I am a parent of an ASD child, can I use FaHCSIA/NDIS funding to register for the training?

Yes. You can use funding from your Helping Children with Autism Package. Currently you can only use your NDIS funding if you are self-managing or plan managed. If you have rolled over to the NDIS, talk to your planner or local area coordinator for further details.

Can I work in a school or kindergarten as an ABA therapist?

Yes. As part of your work, a family or Service Provider may ask you to support a child within the child’s kindergarten or school. However, as per question 12 (below), you may need a Working with Children Check and/or a Police Check.

What else do I need to get work?

You will need a Working with Children Check. Some families may additionally ask for a Police Check (again, common if you’re working in an educational setting with a child). First aid training is not a requirement but we believe it is always a good idea. You should also register for an Australian Business Number (ABN) as most therapists are employed directly by families who will require an invoice for payment.

Can I design ABA programs for children and families once I’ve completed the training?

No. This is always the responsibility of a professional psychologist or ABA Service Provider.

How do I get work?

As part of your training registration you receive complimentary ABIA membership for 12 months (not applicable if using FaHCSIA funding). This enables you to list your details on the ABIA therapist list. This list is available to families and Service Providers seeking to hire therapists. The majority of therapists are employed directly by families which means you will be self-employed and will require an (ABN).

How much work is there? What are the job prospects?

There is always work for enthusiastic, trained, and diligent ABA therapists. The full roll-out of the NDIS will be completed by 2020 and we anticipate more work becoming available as more families receive funding for ABA intervention. Most families undertaking home-based ABA with their child are doing 15-20 hours per week so they’re constantly looking for therapists to cover all or part of the workload. The greater your availability, the better placed you are to find work.

Any other advice?

In taking on work, first ask families if they have an ABA provider writing a program for their child. You should also be included in program meetings which involve the therapist, program supervisor, and family. These generally happen on a fortnightly basis. This will ensure you get great experience, have input into program development, and that your skills constantly evolve